Mercy Health offers a clinical placement employment model for Registered Nurses enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery. Positions are available at Mercy Hospital for Women and Werribee Mercy Hospital. Mercy Health works collaboratively with La Trobe University to ensure the best possible learning opportunities during the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery.
Graduate Diploma of Midwifery students are an integral part of Mercy Health’s commitment to developing our future midwifery workforce. We welcome midwifery students to join our team in providing compassionate and responsive care to people in need. The clinical placement employment model of the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery is designed to facilitate learning within a supportive and welcoming environment, providing opportunities for student midwives to develop their clinical skills while meeting the requirements for registration as a midwife.
Places are subject to acceptance by Mercy Health and La Trobe University.
- 12 months
- Commences in February 2023
- Three paid shifts per week, 0.6 EFT
- Remuneration and annual leave will be in accordance with the current Nurses and Midwives Enterprise Agreement
- Please contact La Trobe University regarding the theoretical component for 2023
- All assignments and exams are set by the university
- Allocated as per requirements set by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and La Trobe University
- Shifts occur around university time requirements for lectures and exams
- Student will be rostered to all shifts including weekends and night duty
- Two shifts per week as a Registered Nurse in the Postnatal Unit (0.4 EFT)
- One shift per week supernumery in all other clinical areas required to complete the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery (0.2EFT)
- Clinical areas include Antenatal, Birthing, Postnatal and Neonatal Services
- Comprehensive hospital and program orientation
- Daily clinical support, guidance and mentoring provided by expert Clinical Support Midwives, Clinical Support Nurses and Clinical Midwife Educators
- Support to undertake midwifery skills and midwifery standards assessments
- Weekly debrief
Wednesday 17 August 2022
4-5pm (via zoom)
To book, email Natalie Blinman, Clinical Placement Coordinator on NBlinman@mercy.com.au and provide your:
- full name
- expression of interest.
You will receive a link for the information session.
How to apply
Prior to applying, applicants should ensure they have:
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with AHPRA
- Met the university entrance requirements for the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery
- Minimum one year recent acute clinical nursing experience
- Applied for enrolment in the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery at La Trobe University
Applications open in August 2022.
Applicants may apply via the Mercy Health careers website along with the supporting documents listed below:
- Letter of application which details a clear rationale for applying to Mercy Hospital for Women or Werribee Mercy Hospital, the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery, and confirms your application to La Trobe University
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two professional referees including name, phone number and email
Clinical Placement Coordinator - Mercy Hospital for Women and Werribee Mercy Hospital
Last reviewed April 8, 2018.