At Mercy Health, our healthcare and services are provided in partnership with staff and consumers (patients, clients, carers and family/friends) working together to achieve optimal care. As a consumer of healthcare services at Mercy Health, it is important for you to understand your rights and responsibilities when receiving these services.
What are my rights as a consumer?
You have a right to:
- healthcare and services you require
- safe and high quality care and services
- services that are respectful of your culture and communication needs
- receive only treatment for which you have provided consent
- clear information about your healthcare, including treatment options
- discuss any questions or concerns you may have about your care
- participate in making decisions about your care, treatment and discharge
- privacy and confidentiality for your personal and health information
- the support of a person of your choice in discussions about your care
- a second opinion, if requested
- be informed of any cost payable for health services or supplies
- give feedback and have your concerns addressed.
What are my responsibilities as a consumer?
You have a responsibility to:
- provide accurate information about your health to assist with your treatment, such as medical history, or allergies
- notify us if your personal details are incorrect or have changed
- tell us if you have questions or concerns about your care
- tell us if your condition changes
- treat everyone you meet at Mercy Health with respect and courtesy
- attend your appointments or notify us if you are unable to attend
- respect the privacy and confidentiality of other people in our care.
Mercy Health supports and has adopted the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights, please follow the links below to learn more about the Charter and how it impacts on you as a consumer of healthcare services.
Mercy Mental Health support the rights of people with a mental illness to have access to rights advocacy and support services.
- Your Health Rights and Responsibilities, New South Wales File size: 471.1K — File type: PDF
- Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights in Victoria
- Your Health Rights and Responsibilities
- Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights
- Browse alternate Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights versions
- Auslan translation of the Charter of Healthcare Rights, Victoria