Join Our Mercy Health Team and start your career with a well supported Graduate Program. Our Graduate Nurse Program and Graduate Midwife Program at Mercy Health are offered at our two sites, Heidelberg and Werribee. The programs offer a great opportunity to build on your knowledge and skills while being supported and guided by experienced professionals.
Our graduate programs are designed with your career goals in mind, offering extensive ward rotations and opportunities for regular graduate-specific education sessions.
At Mercy Health we offer you a supportive environment with opportunities to pursue long-term career goals.
We welcome applicants who will complete their Bachelor of Midwifery, Bachelor of Nursing, combined Bachelor Nursing/Midwifery degree in the academic year of 2020.
Intake will be January and February 2021.
We welcome applications from all Universities throughout Australia. You do not have to have completed a clinical placement with us to apply.
How to apply
- Register with PMCV (computer match).
- Apply to the Graduate Nurse/Midwife program online via our individual program pages.
Eligibility for the 2021 program
The 2021 Registered Nurse/Midwife Graduate Program is offered to graduates who have:
- completed a Bachelor of Nursing Program or equivalent no earlier than 1 June 2020
- a combined Bachelor of Nursing/Midwifery no earlier than 1 June 2020
- a Bachelor of Midwifery no earlier than 1 June 2020.
We do not have supported places for international Graduates.
Applications open on Monday 13 July 2020.
Applications for the 2021 program will close on Wednesday 5 August (the same date that computer match applications close).
Applicants are to provide:
- a cover letter addressed ‘Attention: Graduate Program Lead’ (maximum of one page).
- a resume – please include a brief description of previous clinical placements and relevant work history (maximum of 2 pages)
- your latest Academic transcript, with results legend (certified copy).
Please provide TWO Final Clinical Appraisals, they are to be for third year placements (if you have not yet finished a second placement provide an end of second year final appraisal). If your University uses online appraisals please upload directly, if paper based please have them certified and then upload documents.
Three referees are requested. Two professional referees – clinical facilitator, clinical educator, preceptor or a senior nurse whom you had a clinical placement with would be appropriate. One professional referee from current employer (if you cannot provide this then a one of the above mentioned will be accepted).
All components of the application are considered when offering interviews.
What to expect
Our graduate program offers you the opportunity to transition from student to registered nurse/midwife. Mercy Health is committed to developing you in your new role, ensuring that your graduate year is an exciting and rewarding experience. Our program has been designed to offer you ward rotations that will assist you in gaining comprehensive clinical knowledge and experience.
At Mercy Health we want to ensure you maintain a great work-life balance, at the same time supporting your clinical growth and development. To do this, we offer our graduate program on a part-time basis of 64 hours per fortnight (0.8EFT).
Your fully supported graduate year will prepare you for your nursing/midwifery career.
Graduate Nurse Program
- We offer two six-month rotations which allow you to consolidate clinical skills, enhance your decision making and improve critical thinking.
- Graduate nurses at Werribee Mercy Hospital are offered rotations in Emergency, Pediatrics, Surgical, Day Procedure Unit, Theatre, Special Care Nursery, Medical, Palliative Care and GEM.
- Graduate nurses at Mercy Hospital for Women Heidelberg are offered rotations in Gynecology and Oncology, Theatre and Special Care Nursery.
Graduate Midwife Program
- We offer Graduate Midwives a mix of rotations to allow you to consolidate your skills and enhance your practice and decision-making, and improve critical thinking.
- Graduate Midwives at Werribee Mercy Hospital are offered rotations in Birth Suite, Postnatal Ward and Special Care Nursery.
- Graduate Midwives at Mercy Hospital for Women are offered rotations in Birth Suite, Postnatal and Antenatal Wards, Special Care Nursery, Emergency, Gynecological and Oncology wards.
If you have a specific ward or specialty area you would like to work in Graduates are encouraged to list their preference in their cover letter. We endeavor to match you with your request.
How we support you
Mercy Health Graduate Programs offer you the opportunity to build on your knowledge in a supportive environment guided by experienced nursing and midwifery education teams.
Our Graduate Program Lead is here to support you on your Graduate journey and is responsible for all Graduate recruitment and selection into the program.
Our education team is made up of experienced Clinical Nurse Educators, Clinical Midwife Educators, Clinical Support Nurses and Clinical Support Midwifes. The education teams are allocated to all wards and are on hand to provide support during your Graduate program.
Prior to placement
Prior to commencement of your graduate program you will receive hospital packages preparing for you for your first rotation.
During your rotations you will be supported with a buddy or preceptor who will welcome you into our organisation and support your transition to practice. You will work with your mentor/ preceptor during your supernumerary time providing orientation and support in your new role.
Graduate education runs on a regular basis ensuring you are up to date with your practice. Debrief sessions are also run on a regular basis and are considered a confidential safe graduate space.
Mercy Health has a great retention rate with our Graduate Nurses and Midwives. Our current Graduates have successfully acquired ongoing positions within the organisation.
Employee Assistance Program
Mercy Health offers the services of Converge International which is an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). This is a free and confidential service available 24/7 for all staff. EAP can be accessed not only during challenging times but it can also provide wide range of additional resources to support your health and well being.
Graduate Program Lead
- Email address: MHgraduaterecruitment@mercy.com.au
Allocation and placement service
- Website: Allocation and placement service
You must register with PMCV in order to apply.
Last reviewed February 17, 2020.