Looking after yourself before your surgery
Please follow the instructions in your confirmation of appointment letter which was sent to you by the waitlist booking office. This includes making sure you are properly fasted (have avoided food and drink in a time period before surgery) as per your instructions.
Prior to your operation it is important to maintain good health and nutrition. We recommend you stop smoking, taking of illegal drugs and reduce your alcohol intake two weeks before your admission.
In the weeks before your operation please try to avoid people with known viruses, infections and diarrhea.
Changes in your health
If you experience any changes to your health which may affect your surgery, you need to contact and notify the waitlist booking office. For management of a health condition, please refer to your GP. If you require immediate assessment, you should attend the Emergency Department.
If your symptoms worsen, or you are concerned about your general health while waiting for your operation, please contact your local doctor.
Please contact the Pre-admission Nurse on 03 8754 3611 if you develop a cold, cough or fever in the week before your operation.
Werribee Mercy Hospital (WMH)
Waitlist Booking Office
Phone: 03 8754 3611
Fasting before surgery
You must fast (avoid food and drink) and have an empty stomach for your operation.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12 midnight the night before surgery.
- Take your usual morning medications as directed at 6am with a small glass of water (200ml).
- Do not chew gum, suck lollies or sip any fluids
- On the morning of your surgery eat a light breakfast (tea/coffee & toast) finishing before 7am.
- Take your usual morning medications as directed.
- After 7am, do not eat or drink anything.
- Do not chew gum, suck lollies or sip any fluids.
- At 10am you can drink a small glass (200ml) of water
Last reviewed October 23, 2017.