In order for us to be able to accept your patient for review and treatment, referring GP’s/Medical Specialists are required to provide the following detail in your referral.
- Full name
- Address and phone numbers
- Date of birth
- Indigenous status
- Referring GP details
- Health insurance details
- Preferred language and interpreter requirements
- Medicare number
- Mobility needs
- National Bowel Cancer Screening number
- Name, address and contact information
- Provider number
- Date of referral
- Clinic name – Surgical Clinic
- Name of speciality to whom the patient is being referred – as per below (for MBS billed clinics)
- Presenting problem and duration of symptoms
- GP diagnosis or provisional diagnosis, if known
- Relevant medical history
- Relevant social history or special needs
- Current medications
- Pathology and other investigation reports
- Allergies or warnings
- Physical examination results
- List of medication
- Past surgery
- Management to date and response to treatment
Our clinic is receiving eReferrals via HealthLink SmartForms. Please see our Refer a patient page for more information.
Alternatively populate the required information on the referral form, addressing it to Dr Shaukat Esufali, Rapid Access Colonoscopy Clinic. Fax to the outpatient department on 03 8754 6710.
Only referrals for a positive faecal occult blood test are accepted in this clinic.
Referrals for routine surveillance are not accepted in this clinic.
Essential referral content will be checked. You will be contacted if further information is required.
The referral will be triaged by the specialist areas according to clinical urgency.
This determines how long the patient will have to wait for an appointment.
Patients are scheduled to be seen within fourteen working days.
Both the referrer and patient are notified.
Immediate assessment criteria
All referrals are treated as URGENT.
Immediate assessment or admission criteria (not an exhaustive list)
Step 1: Check criteria for immediate assessment or admission
- Heavy PR bleeding
- Acute Melena
- Hemodynamically compromised
- Contact the Emergency Department Admitting Officer (AO) via the switchboard: 03 8754 3000.
Follow up your phone call by faxing a referral to the emergency department including all relevant investigations to the number the AO provides.
In case of emergency, call 000
Outpatient Clinics - Medical/Surgical
Outpatient Clinics - Medical/Surgical
03 8754 6700
- Phone number: 03 8754 6710
- Website: Outpatient access
Call this number for:
· Appointment questions
· Referral questions
· You want to speak to a nurse about why you are coming to see the specialist
· You want to change your appointment
· You want to tell us you no longer need your appointment
For Health Professionals
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: HealthPathways Melbourne
HealthPathways Melbourne provides clinicians with a single website to access clinical and referral pathways, and resources. Pathways are created by local GPs, working in partnership with specialists, nurses, allied health and other health professionals.
Mercy Health recommends clinicians to access HealthPathways Melbourne for guidance in assessing, managing and referring for patient conditions (login required).
Referrals to outpatient clinics at Mercy Health will be triaged against clinical information and investigations based on these guidelines.
Referrals that do not meet the required clinical information and investigations will not be accepted.
Email HealthPathways to request access or if you need to confirm your username and password.
Healthlink SmartForm eReferrals
- Website: au.healthlink.net/support
HealthLink is a secure digital platform for sending referrals directly from your GP practice software (Best Practice, Genie, Medical Director and MedTech Evolution).
Practices without conformant software can register for a free HealthLink Portal licence by completing the online registration form and noting in the comments/message field that you would like to use the SmartForms, then selecting the two checkboxes – (1) Receive Electronic Correspondence (free of charge) and (3) Send Electronic Smart Forms (My Aged Care, Transport for NSW, Monash Health etc).
Once HealthLink receives your completed registration application, this will be processed and the portal details will be forwarded to you.
eReferral Support Contact Information
- For GPs in the Eastern Melbourne Primary Healthcare Network region wanting to enable eReferrals (HealthLink Smartforms), please contact email@example.com if urgent (03) 9046 0300.
- For GPs in the North Western Melbourne Primary Healthcare Network region wanting to enable eReferrals (HealthLink Smartforms), please contact HealthLink via phone: 1800 125 036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For issues with HealthLink SmartForms, or to have this solution enabled within your clinical software system, please contact HealthLink on 1800 125 036 or HelpdeskHL@healthlink.net.
Statewide Referral Criteria for Specialist Clinics - Victoria
- Website: Statewide Referral Criteria
The Department of Health and Human Services has developed statewide referral criteria to assist GPs and clinicians referring patients to specialist clinics. These referral criteria have been developed to improve access to specialist clinics in public hospitals by improving the quality and appropriateness of referrals.
Clinics and services
Use these guidelines to refer patients for the following clinics and services:
Donate to the Mercy Health Foundation
The Mercy Health Foundation supports programs to improve the health and wellbeing of those in need. Your donation makes a difference in hospitals, nurseries, aged care homes, and the general community.
We value feedback from the people we care for, including from your families, friends, carers, and our broader community. Find out how to register a concern, complaint or compliment, or make a suggestion for improvement at Mercy Health.