Mercy Health acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional custodians of the land on which Mercy Health sites are located.
Some of the initiatives we support include:
- culturally specific care services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients at both Mercy Hospital for Women (MHW) and Werribee Mercy Hospital (WMH)
- Mercy Health CEO Stephen Cornelissen has co-signed the Close the Gap Statement of Intent. This is a statement of our intent to help achieve equality in health status and life expectancy between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other Australians by 2030
- marking significant dates, including NAIDOC Week, Reconciliation Week and Sorry Day and involving local Aboriginal communities
- consulting with the MHVL Aboriginal Health Reference Committee for advice on improving health services for the Aboriginal community
- continued implementation of our Reconciliation Action Plan
- an Aboriginal Employment Plan to help us increase employment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people at Mercy Health.