Transitions maternity care clinic for women with alcohol or chemical dependencyLocations:
Our clinic is here to support you through your pregnancy and maternity care if you currently have, or have recently had, an alcohol or drug dependency.
We provide specialist obstetric and paediatric care focusing on the issues associated with substance use. We provide:
- specialist midwifery, antenatal (before birth) care and education
- drug and alcohol assessment, counselling and referrals
- methadone stabilisation and support
- social and housing support
- mental health assessment and support
- dietitian services
- priority access to dentists.
For further information, or to make a referral as a health professional, contact the Transitions Alcohol and Drug Clinic, Mercy Hospital for Women.
Find us at:
163 Studley Road
Heidelberg Victoria 3084
For more information on getting here, visit Mercy Hospital for Women .
Level 3 Outpatients Clinic
Access to a midwife Monday–Friday. Please call 03 8458 4201. Clinical care is limited to Tuesdays, 1–5pm.
What to do before
Ask your general practitioner (GP) to refer you to us on 03 8458 4206 or 03 8458 4205.
What to bring
- your Medicare card (or your passport and private healthcare fund if you do not have a Medicare card)
- a list of any medication you are taking
- a list of any other drugs you are taking
- any pathology or ultrasound results to your appointment. If you don’t have a copy, please bring the name and number of the place where your test was completed so we can get a copy of the result.
What to expect on the day
Your visits may take up to two hours. We offer sandwiches and juice while you wait.
We are here to support you throughout your pregnancy. Our team includes:
- an obstetrician
- social workers
- mental health providers.
Opportunities to be involved in research
We regularly participate in research projects. You can find more information on these projects in our waiting rooms, and how they can benefit other babies, mothers and families. Your midwife or obstetrician will talk to you about participating in any research.
For health professionals
Transitions Alcohol and Drug Clinic is for pregnant women with alcohol or chemical dependency.
Please provide the following information:
- a full referral, including pregnancy model of care choice. The model of care refers to how pregnancy care is provided
- any relevant pregnancy and related medical information
- any tests, scans, results or patient information
- social supports and any external agencies involved in your patient’s care
- any relevant information regarding alcohol or chemical dependency.
How to prepare the patient
Please tell your patient that this service is a supportive and empowering model of care. Best-practice care is offered to support rehabilitation or harm minimisation.
What/when you should refer to us
Our clinic is receiving eReferrals via HealthLink SmartForms. Please see our Refer a patient page for more information.
Additional contact details
Phone: 03 8458 4201
Fax: 03 8458 4206 with the subject line: Attention Transitions Clinic
For Health Professionals
- Email address: email@example.com
- Website: HealthPathways Melbourne
HealthPathways Melbourne provides clinicians with a single website to access clinical and referral pathways, and resources. Pathways are created by local GPs, working in partnership with specialists, nurses, allied health and other health professionals.
Mercy Health recommends clinicians to access HealthPathways Melbourne for guidance in assessing, managing and referring for patient conditions (login required).
Referrals to outpatient clinics at Mercy Health will be triaged against clinical information and investigations based on these guidelines.
Referrals that do not meet the required clinical information and investigations will not be accepted.
Email HealthPathways to request access or if you need to confirm your username and password.
Healthlink SmartForm eReferrals
- Website: au.healthlink.net/support
HealthLink is a secure digital platform for sending referrals directly from your GP practice software (Best Practice, Genie, Medical Director and MedTech Evolution).
Practices without conformant software can register for a free HealthLink Portal licence by completing the online registration form and noting in the comments/message field that you would like to use the SmartForms, then selecting the two checkboxes – (1) Receive Electronic Correspondence (free of charge) and (3) Send Electronic Smart Forms (My Aged Care, Transport for NSW, Monash Health etc).
Once HealthLink receives your completed registration application, this will be processed and the portal details will be forwarded to you.
eReferral Support Contact Information
- For GPs in the Eastern Melbourne Primary Healthcare Network region wanting to enable eReferrals (HealthLink Smartforms), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if urgent (03) 9046 0300.
- For GPs in the North Western Melbourne Primary Healthcare Network region wanting to enable eReferrals (HealthLink Smartforms), please contact HealthLink via phone: 1800 125 036 or email email@example.com
- For issues with HealthLink SmartForms, or to have this solution enabled within your clinical software system, please contact HealthLink on 1800 125 036 or HelpdeskHL@healthlink.net.
Statewide Referral Criteria for Specialist Clinics - Victoria
- Website: Statewide Referral Criteria
The Department of Health and Human Services has developed statewide referral criteria to assist GPs and clinicians referring patients to specialist clinics. These referral criteria have been developed to improve access to specialist clinics in public hospitals by improving the quality and appropriateness of referrals.
163 Studley Road
Heidelberg Victoria 3084
Having a baby at Werribee Mercy Hospital
At Werribee Mercy Hospital, we offer patient-centred care options for your pregnancy and birth.
We value feedback from the people we care for, including from your families, friends, carers, and our broader community. Find out how to register a concern, complaint or compliment, or make a suggestion for improvement at Mercy Health.