Postgraduate Diploma or Certificate of Nursing-Palliative Care is a program (graduate diploma or certificate) for registered nurses who wish to advance their knowledge and skills in specialist palliative care nursing.
Werribee Mercy Hospital supports the clinical component of the course in conjunction with Melbourne University.
Students are employed part-time while attending university.
Mentorship and support is provided by the Learning Team to ensure you have completed the clinical competency and clinical assessments.
Placements are also offered at Mercy Palliative Care, which provides palliative care for people approaching end of life in aged care homes and the community.
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency registration (Division 1), with current practicing certificate
- minimum of 12 months’ nursing experience
- evidence of enrolment requirements with university of choice
- satisfactory references and pre-entrance interview.
Werribee Mercy Hospital opened a purpose-built 12-bed palliative care unit in 2005. This state-of-the-art unit provides family-centred care in home-like surroundings.
We welcome applications from both internal and external candidates. The number of positions each year will be determined by EFT capability.
How to apply
Applications will open on 13 September 2019 and close on 11 October 2019.
While applications are open you will be required to apply via the Mercy Health careers website along with the supporting documents listed below.
To apply for the Graduate Certificate in Palliative Care, you are required to have:
- a Bachelor Degree (or equivalent qualification) in the discipline of nursing
- at least one year documented evidence of clinical experience as a Registered Nurse working in an acute,palliative or community healthcare service
- a current unrestricted registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Agency as a Division 1 Registered Nurse (domestic students only)
- good references.
Mercy Health will assess your application and you may be required to come in for an interview. If you are eligible, Mercy Health will support your nomination to the University of Melbourne. You will then submit your enrollment to the university.
Last reviewed September 20, 2017.