Mercy Health offers clinical placement for students studying the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery. Positions are available at Mercy Hospital for Women (Heidelberg) and Werribee Mercy Hospital. Mercy Health works collaboratively with your chosen university to ensure the best possible learning opportunities during the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery.
Places are subject to acceptance by Mercy Health and one of the following affiliated universities:
• Deakin University
• Federation University Australia
• La Trobe University.
Graduate Diploma of Midwifery students are an integral part of Mercy Health’s commitment to developing our future midwifery workforce. We welcome midwifery students to join our team in providing compassionate and responsive care to people in need. The clinical placement component of the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery is designed to facilitate learning within a supportive and welcoming environment. Clinical placement provides opportunities for student midwives to develop their theoretical knowledge and clinical skills while meeting the requirements for registration as a midwife.
Overview of program
- three unpaid days a week (as per university requirements)
- students will be rostered across all shifts, seven days a week
- shifts occur around university time requirements for lectures and exams
- students will work in a supernumerary capacity in all clinical areas
- commencing in March for a period of one to two years (depending on university).
- comprehensive hospital and program orientation
- unit-specific orientation
- daily support, guidance and mentoring provided by expert clinical support midwives and nurses.
- please contact your chosen university regarding the theoretical component as the structure varies between universities
- all assignments and exams are set by the university.
- allocated as per requirements set by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and the relevant university
- competency and clinical skill assessments will be completed by our clinical support midwives throughout the year.
How to apply
Applications open annually around July. You must apply to both the university of your choice and Mercy Health. Please specify which university you are applying to.
Please note that successful applicants are required to provide a current Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Mercy Hospital for Women, Undergraduate Educator
Mercy Hospital for Women
Level 2, 163 Studley Road
Heidelberg, Vic 3084
Phone: 03 8458 4941
Werribee Mercy Hospital, Undergraduate Educator
Werribee Mercy Hospital
300 Princes Highway
Werribee, Vic 3030
Phone: 03 8754 3508