Mercy Health offers clinical placement for students studying the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery. Positions are available at Mercy Hospital for Women (Heidelberg) and Werribee Mercy Hospital.
Mercy Health works collaboratively with your chosen university to ensure the best possible learning opportunities during the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery.
Places are subject to acceptance by Mercy Health and one of the following affiliated universities:
• La Trobe University
• Deakin University
Graduate Diploma of Midwifery students are an integral part of Mercy Health’s commitment to developing our future midwifery workforce. We welcome midwifery students to join our team in providing compassionate and responsive care to people in need. The clinical placement component of the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery is designed to facilitate learning within a supportive and welcoming environment. Clinical placement provides opportunities for student midwives to develop their clinical skills whilst meeting the requirements for registration as a midwife.
Overview of program
- commences in February 2020 for a period of 12 to 18 months (university dependent)
- three shifts per week, unpaid
- rostered across all shifts, seven days a week
- students will work in a supernumerary capacity in all clinical areas
- shifts occur around university time requirements for lectures and exams
- comprehensive hospital and program orientation
- unit-specific orientation
- daily clinical support, guidance and mentoring provided by expert clinical support midwives and nurses.
- please contact your chosen university regarding the theoretical component as the structure varies between universities
- all assignments and exams are set by the university
- allocated as per requirements set by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and the relevant university
- competency and clinical skill assessments will be completed by our clinical support midwives throughout the year
Thursday 25 July 2019: 5:00-7:00pm
Mercy Hospital for Women
Lecture Theatre, level 4
163 Studley Road, Heidelberg
Werribee Mercy Hospital
Learning Precinct, Seminar Room
300 Princes Highway, Werribee
How to apply
Applications open on 1 July 2019 and close on 30 August 2019. Interviews will be held on 12 September 2019.
You must apply to both the university of your choice and Mercy Health. Please specify which university you are applying to.
Please note that successful applicants are required to provide a current Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Mercy Hospital for Women, Clinical Placement Coordinator
Level 2, 163 Studley Road
Heidelberg, Vic 3084
Phone: 03 8458 4941
Werribee Mercy Hospital, Clinical Placement Coordinator
300 Princes Highway
Werribee, Vic 3030
Phone: 03 8754 3508
Affiliated education institution
La Trobe University
Last reviewed April 8, 2018.